Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Getting To Know Artist Glenn Yamanoha In Light of TOMONO/YAMANOHA at The Koa Art Gallery

A collection of mixed media compositions on paper by exhibiting artist Glenn Yamanoha 


Text modified from an original statement via Ohia Arts, 1995 


Glenn Yamanoha is an accomplished painter and printmaker who was born and raised on the North Shore of O'ahu. He earned a BFA in painting from the University of Washington and studied at Seattle Art Institute. In 1988, he was awarded a Monbusho International grant from the Japanese government to study woodblock printing in Kyoto as well as a Fellowship award from the Hawaii State Foundation on Culture and the Arts. Glenn's paintings are in the permanent collections of some of the most esteemed institutions including SFCA, the City and County of Honolulu, The Contemporary Museum, First Hawaiian Bank, Bank of Hawaii, and Kaiser Permanente (just to name a few.) He has exhibited in countless solo, group, and juried exhibitions in Hawaii, the mainland, and abroad.

"My art reflects the assimilation and interpretation of my Japanese/Hawaiian heritage. As an artist of multiple cultures, I portray a glimpse of the path I travel, a journey in search of my 'voice.' My work is a visual manifestation of my identity and influences.

My paintings are images, always in progress and constantly growing; a reflection of myself as an artist who has reached back and inward to re-discover and explore his cultural heritage. I utilize a Japanese sense of space and composition, incorporating textures, patterns, and colors that I have drawn from my studies, travels, and the influences I have received from Hawaii's environment and it's peoples.

The shapes and planes which touch or cut across my canvas are part of that moment of interaction. They are made up of fragments captured in a momentary crossing of paths. Layers of visible and invisible planes at some point come into contact with one another; just as in the cycles of life, people cross paths and continue on. These abstract landscapes are not meant to 'say' anything as much as to suggest a moment: in mood, time or space."

-Glenn Yamanoha, 1995. 


TOMONO/YAMANOHA: Recent Works by Lonny Tomono and Glenn Yamanoha is on display at The Koa Art Gallery through November 2nd. 


1 comment:

  1. This kind of information is more information and knowledgeable which we can get more useful thing from it. Thanks for having this kind of information into on the post.
    Art Gallery India

    ReplyDelete